I needed a recipe for the cabbage and carrots I caught over the weekend at the St. Patrick's Day parade in Metairie. This recipe from Emeril uses beer so I thought it has to be good! It turned out awesome!! Chad loved it. He said, "I don't even like cabbage and I loved this."
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 bottle beer (I used Abita Purple Haze)
- sriracha - I have a weird compulsion to put sriracha in everything. Chad and I like spicy food. You can omit this if you don't.
In a large pot or dutch oven, cook the bacon until browned and crispy. Add the onion, carrot, and the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Yes, you are leaving all the bacon grease in the pot and cooking with it!!! That's what gives this dish so much meaty flavor. Don't skimp on this. Saturated fat is not the enemy.
Add the cabbage, stirring to mix. Add the beer, squirt in some sriracha, season and cover. Braise until the cabbage has wilted, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately.